To apply for a Bright Futures Scholarship, submit a completed Florida Financial Aid Application (FFAA) during your last year in high school (after December 1 and prior to graduation). It is your responsibility to know and meet the requirements of the Bright Future Scholarship Program before high school graduation (for a comprehensive list view the Bright Futures Student Handbook).
- Bright Futures Academic Scholarship
- 3.50 GPA (upon graduation of high school)
- ACT score: 29 or above OR SAT score: 1330 or above
- Community Service Hours: 100 or above
- Renewal: maintain 3.0 cumulative GPA while enrolled at FSU
- Bright Futures Medallion Scholarship
- 3.00 GPA (upon graduation of high school)
- ACT score: 25 or above OR SAT score: 1210 or above
- Community Service Hours: 75 or above
- Renewal: maintain 2.75 cumulative GPA while enrolled at FSU
Estimated Bright Futures Rates
|Medallion Scholarship||$160.16 per credit hour*|
|Academic Scholarship||$213.55 per credit hour*|
|Top Scholars||Additional $44 per credit hour|
*may be subject to change
Frequently Asked Questions
Will the new award cover additional costs like online fees or lab fees?
The new award is calculated at $213.55 per credit hour, which covers most of the core fees at Florida State University, but does not take into account additional costs like online or lab fees. Because the award is treated same as cash, it can pay for those fees, but is not calculated based on those additional costs.
The award is supposed to be 100% of tuition and fees, why isn't it covering everything?
The Florida Department of Education has determined that the award should cover 100% of the following fees; tuition, capital improvement, financial aid, athletics, health, activities & services, differential, transportation, and technology, which comes to a total of $213.55 per credit hour. FSU also assesses a $2 per credit hour Student Affairs Facilities Use Fee, a $20 per semester Facilities Use Fee, and a $5 per semester FSUCard fee that are not included in the fees allowable for Bright Futures calculation. These fees will need to be covered out of pocket.
I'm using my remaining Bright Futures to cover my first semester of Graduate School, how does that work?
The Bright Futures scholarship will cover up to one semester of graduate coursework, but will pay at the undergraduate rate of $213.55 per credit hour.
Why don't I see my Bright Futures award?
Typically Bright Futures recipients do not see their awards because FSU was not listed as the school of choice in the Bright Futures application, the student has not established Florida residency, or the student’s national identification number (social security number) at FSU does not match the national identification number listed by the state of Florida.
• Make sure that you've completed your Bright Futures/State of Florida Application and that your scholarship has been posted with FSU's code 371 at http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/.
• Make sure that the Admissions & Records office has received your residency documentation.
• Confirm the accuracy of your national identification number (SSN) with both FSU and the State of Florida.